The Be-atitudes

Posted by Heather Conrad at 7:14 PM

Sunday, January 31, 2010


If I posed this question to you, I wonder what you would answer....

What makes a Christ-ian different from one who doesn't believe in Christ as their Lord and Savior? And, if you call yourself a Christian, would a stranger know?

If there is one unifying factor that we all have as human beings, what would that be? What do we all innately possess that doesn't need to be taught?

Well, this morning, we took a look at a passage in Matthew 5, called the Beatitudes. I say we because in our "family" gatherings, it's an atmosphere in which we all convene, interact, and share, seeking our Father's perspective on how to do this "thing" called life. Not sure about you, but I find Jesus' words for me to be counter-cultural. Our shepherd and teacher led us in such a way as to list out these differences.

Jesus says to be...

  • poor in spirit, humble
  • to mourn, feel sorrow
  • to be meek
  • to hunger and thirst for righteousness
  • to me merciful, helpers
  • pure in heart, holy
  • peacemakers, healers
  • to be persecuted, harassed
World says to be...
  • proud, self-confident
  • never suffer, sorrow
  • powerful
  • need nothing
  • show no mercy
  • do whatever
  • winners
  • persecute other
Jesus came and turned everything upside down.

The world says...
  • believe in yourself
  • strive to be #1
  • winning is everything
  • don't get mad, get even
  • assert yourselves
  • get ahead
  • most toys wins
Jesus says...
  • Believe in me
  • The last shall be first, and the first shall be last
  • He who loves life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it
  • Love your enemies
  • Deny yourself
  • Give yourself away
  • If you gain the whole world and lose your soul, you have nothing
As my pastor reminded me this morning, pondering this will expose how much I fall short of God's standard for living right. This reminds me of my absolute necessity for my daily dependence on Him. You see, in order for me to "be", it all comes down to the heart of the matter, the driving force behind my decisions and actions - my heart. My heart reveals my attitude, and boy, mine can be pretty down-right self-centered when it comes down to it. I will fail without the perspective of the perfect one.

Pastor, thank you for the guidance. I look forward to drawing closer to my best friend both in knowledege and in heart.

Do you have a church family? What is holding you back?

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i like reading what jesus says compared to what the world says. no wonder life can be so rough. and why it is so important to pray.