Shhhhh... I'm listening.

Posted by Heather Conrad at 8:43 PM

Monday, November 2, 2009

1 Kings 19:12

12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

Kitty, one of "the girls" from our amazing speaker team during the She Speaks Conference this past summer, emailed us with this challenge. She sent us this verse and asked us, "What is the Lord asking you to write?" The coolest part about this challenge is that you will be able to link up with several others who will be praying and writing about this same verse. The many facets of God will just light up in an amazing way, I just have a feeling. So keep reading and don't forget to check the link on the bottom that will take you to Regina's site, our gracious hostess.

So here we go... gentle whisper... Actually, one of my favorite topics. For me, I've come to recognize the sound of my shepherd's voice through these types of gentle whispers that seem to float across my heart. How does the Lord speak to you? Can you remember specific times in which there was no doubt it was He, The Great I Am, speaking so personally, just to you, as if no one else was in the room?

Well, before we go there, let's take a little closer look at the context of this passage. In chapter 19, we read about the prophet Elijah. We find him fleeing for his life. In desperation, he comes to a tree, sits down, and prays that he might die (pretty dire straights here!). "I have had enough, Lord, " he said. "take my life; I am no better than my ancestors." Ever been at the end of your rope like this? But God... had other plans. He sent an angel who told him to, "get up and eat." Sounds like words I say to my children every morning, yet isn't that like our Lord to give it to us straight, to recognize our needs and to give it to us in simple terms. Funny thing is, the Lord needed to repeat it a second time for Elijah, we need repetition don't we :)

Strengthened by food and drink, Elijah traveled forty days and nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God. There he went into a cave and spent the night. So Elijah is physically rejuvenated but still feeling the effects of the events 40 days before. God is now ready to teach him an important lesson. He will "pass by" Elijah (I wonder if he had any idea just how special he is?), giving Elijah a glimpse of his holiness.

The wind, the lightening and the earthquake increase Elijah's awareness of his own weaknesses. But God is present in none of these things. Instead, he manifests himself in a "gentle whisper", revealing to Elijah that strength and power are not always found in the dramatic or sensational, but at times in gentleness and calm. Elijah immediately recognizes God in the quiet murmur, responding with awe and reverence.

How does this story reverberate with you today? Have you found yourself in a place where you have journeyed "40 days and nights", feelings the effects yet ready more than ever to see the presence of the Lord and to receive the lesson and refinement He has for you? Perhaps your view of God is one of wrath, as represented in the lightening and earthquake. Is it possible that we have not been listening to that still, quiet whisper? Can we believe, can we trust, can we follow in obedience? Is it possible to find strength and power in gentleness?

My life is a living testimony to "yes". But by his grace, I dared to believe in the "craziness" of what he asks of me. One step at a time, one yes at a time, one battle at a time, one victory at a time, one miracle at a time, one "taste" at a time, and you won't even remember what was so appealing about the "old" life - this "new" life is just too amazing to miss out on. Easy, no, amazing, yes. Spending time with Jesus will increase our appetite for believing Him, not just believing in Him. Will you join me? Click here, and here, for more information.

Click here and keep reading more about His whispers, you will be blessed!

6 comments:

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

Thanks for sharing. Don't you love Elijah's story? Makes him seem like one of us when we see him scared too. Of all people, Elijah!!

Unknown said...

Sometimes I think my mother should have named me Elijah. Or at least he may be an ancestor..... I can so relate to him.

Antique Mommy said...

Good lesson Heather. I love the story Elijah.

Melanie said...

Hi Heather, i loved walking through this story with you. melanie

Teske said...

There is victory in Christ! Thanks for your insights, Heather.

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Love the story of Elijah! Thanks for your inspiration!