Have you prayed for your kids today?

Posted by Heather Conrad at 11:07 PM

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Two weekends ago, I had the privilege of attending a Women's Conference in town. An even greater privilege was to attend with my mom, a wonderful teenage girl who we consider part of the family, and several other dear friends. The conference was put on by a group of ladies called Extraordinary Women, (click here to check out a location near you). Amazing "take-aways" and areas in which the Spirit spoke right to my heart, but one overall theme that I keep sensing as it reverberates across my heart, has to do with prayer.

Stormie Omartian, an amazing author and speaker, has written a book titled, The Power of a Praying Parent. I don't know about you, but my children are prayed for in many different ways, but in certain areas, I have yet to pray for them... until now. Through Stormie, God is helping me to take a look at how to turn to Him and place every detail of my childrens' lives in His loving and capable hands.

Perhaps you're reading this today and it's yet another post about children, and you sigh thinking, I don't fit into this category. My heart reaches out to you, I've been there. In fact, God gives us a great example in the book of 1 Samuel about a lady named Hannah, check it out. And while you're at it, check out my dear friend Rachel's site, her study will leave you changed. Sometimes we forget, nothing surprises God. He's known us since before time began. He knew we'd be here, right in this very moment today. He doesn't leave us without His truth, His Word to draw from, examples of our humanness, examples from the perfect Son he sent to us and for us. Perhaps today, the Lord has given you special "children" in your life, perhaps nieces or nephews, neighbors, children of friends, or even a room full of Sunday schoolers. Prayer is powerful. Prayer is life-transforming. Prayer is a command.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Not only am I concentrating on praying for my children's safety, character development, relationship with God, and friends, but I'm, in turn, teaching them how to pray in a way that is natural and free as if talking with a friend near them. I've been using Stormie's book, What Happens When I Talk to God?, as a way to introduce them to different facets of what to pray about and the attributes of their Heavenly Father as well. It's led into some discussion of the Lord's prayer, found in Matthew 6, as well. It's transforming our lives. When I asked the question, "What do you talk to God about while you're at school?" I uncovered aspects of their heart that I never knew where being shaped, what a beautiful picture to me, what a blessing.


I wonder if you might be sitting in skepticism today. Perhaps your are doubting the power of prayer. Maybe you prayed for something and you feel that God hasn't answered. Perhaps you've been praying for awhile now, and it appears God isn't listening. Maybe you wonder if He even hears you, if He even cares? Let me tell you that you are not alone. You are indeed at a crossroads. You've come to a place where truth is offered, your actions to follow will indicate your belief. Matthew 7 states, "


13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.


Which gate will you enter today? As you dare to believe in the truth that God spells out, as you dare to believe and place your trust in the One who cannot be seen with the visible eye, will you be able to share in the truth that states, "He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20)? Will you dare to "taste and see that the Lord is good.." (Psalms 34:8), in order to receive the abundant, full life that is offered? What are you waiting for? What is your fear?


"Be amazed, be changed, by a perfect God".... singer Natalie Grant.

1 comments:

Rachel Wojnarowski said...

Hey my friend!
Thanks for the link. Thanks even more for the kids' book; as big a fan as I am of Stormie, I had no idea of the kids' book!! You da woman. (can you picture my saying this? because I can't.)