The desires of your heart

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:45 PM

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Last evening and this morning, I got to spend some time with God. I was ushered into his presence by worship leader Travis Cottrell and spoken to by His servant Beth Moore, all through the miracles of technology. I was able to take part in an event hosted in Green Bay by simply traveling 10 minutes away and paying a minimal cost. They were such precious moments with Him. I thank my husband for simply being the best father and most supportive teammate. The kids were bursting with stories of what they "did" together when I returned.

Just wanted to share with you today a few points to ponder as we took a deeper look at Psalm 37, more specifically verse 4. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

1. Nothing dictates our lives like our desires.

2. Beneath the desires of our heart, is the heart of our desires.

3. Delighting in God adapts our desires into inevitabilities.

4. Nothing external can steal our right to delight.

5. To make room for delight, we've got to commit.

6. Nothing is passive about patiently waiting for desire to turn into delight.

7. Till faith becomes sight, trust God and do good (good, not right).

Under point number 4, Beth asked us, "What's taking a bite out of your personal delight?" She offered an acrostic - our JAW - jealously, anger, worry. Wow, lots to chew on there, no pun intended.

Basically, God gave me time to meet with Him today, in many unexpected ways. I went by myself (all in His plan), I came with some "issues" (all in my doing), and I sat with eyes-wide open, coming face to face with some of my uglies. I had a choice to make, face it or run. I think I'll leave the runnin for tomorrow. Because of his abundant grace and his overflowing mercy, I became unglued. My prayer lately: Lord, unsettle me. He answered. In fact, he prodded me to scooch over in the pew and reach out to the stranger next to me. I must have said no at least five times, and before I knew it, I had physically moved and my mouth was moving. Through this precious woman, I stepped out of my selfish, self-centered state to reach out for a moment, and I met Him right there, through the bluest, most honest eyes I've ever seen. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Carol.

For more information about Living Proof Ministries, check out the link to the right (Beth Moore), it's chock-full of great stuff, including a Texas sheetcake recipe that's been all the rave. Have a fabulous Sunday with Him tomorrow, I can't wait to run along the river and drink in his goodness tomorrow morning alongside my life partner. Until next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I wanted to go to the simulcast here in our area, but couldn't! So glad that God met you there!

Erin McGraw said...

Hi Heather, thanks for your review of the weekend. I too wanted to attend this but my husband was out of town, so no babysitting. How great of God to help you step out of your comfort zone. How amazing that God let me be part of that special weekend too through your blog. God Bless!!!

Rachel Wojnarowski said...

Girl! I couldn't get this out of my head to come over and catch your blog since I missed the night. The topic seems so relevant for my current stirring and yet "Nothing is passive about patiently waiting for desire to turn into delight" Does that quote not seem to bring on a deja vu of the Hannah discussion we had on waiting? Scary to think that I so quickly forgot my own teaching!!
Love ya and miss ya.

Amanda said...

Heather, I thought of you and came over to check your blog out. Hadn't been here in a while, and I just wanted to comment here.
I printed out the list you came home with from the simulcast. It hit home on some things I know God is gently asking me to rest assured of. I'm so tired from wrestling, it's no where even near funny, at least not right now anyway. After a long season of intense pushing, listening, obeying, pushing, crying, praying, pushing, I'm so afraid to wait quietly... like I'd be wrong to do so... like somehow I'd truly be found at fault by doing so!
Asking and confessing so brokenly this morning, this is a wonderful little tidbit to come to! Rachel said it as well. Why would patience be a bad thing here?! Why would I even believe it wouldn't be? It's part of love! Funny how that can get missed in the face of the fight. I'm SO looking forward to putting this into my journal and answering it in all freedom. Thank you for sharing this, I truly appreciate it!
I love you and I miss everyone too much to think on it. Blessings to you and yours, Heather!

In Him,
Amanda Mayer