All things new

Posted by Heather Conrad at 10:41 AM

Friday, August 28, 2009

Been doing a little bit of reading lately, and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to share in my gratitude to Max. Yes, I fell like I can address him as such being as how we have a family picture with he and his beautiful wife Denalyn. Well, in reality, we stood in line at Sam's Club, and they were gracious enough to allow a Sam's Club worker to snap a shot for us :) He is one of Aaron's all-time fav's! And I must admit, this newest release does not disappoint. He is able to take a subject that affects each and every one of us, and use his gift of words to bring God's truth to life, sprinkled with hope and encouragement. He writes,

Fear will always knock on your door. Just don't invite it in for dinner. And for heaven's sake, don't offer it a bed for the night.

Several chapters challenged my current perspectives and left me to ponder, while others simply gave me words to put to thoughts that have been rolling around in my brain for quite some time. In a chapter entitled, "The Shadow of Doubt", Max cuts to the heart of the matter by looking at our doubts of the basic foundations of who and even if God is. In discussing the resurrection of Jesus, he zooms in on Jesus visiting both men on the way to Emmaus as well as the disciples. When asked the question, what would Christ have us do with our doubts. His answer can be summed up - touch my body and ponder my story.

He goes on to further state, "We can still touch the body of Christ. When we brush up against the church, we do just that." The church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself" (Eph. 1:23 NLT).

Max continues to say, "Christ distributes courage through community; he dissipates doubts through fellowship. He never deposits all knowledge in one person but distributes pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to many. When you interlock your understanding with mine, and we share our discoveries.... When we mix, mingle, confess, and pray, Christ speaks."

I just love that view of the church body, the community unto which we long for, were created for, are called to.

Yet another awesome read was placed in my hand at the She Speaks conference. Mary Demuth is the author and she writes a fiction story about a picture-perfect small town that "hides more secrets than the curved petals of a blood red rose." To read more about it, go to She Reads, an amazing new ministry that desires to place great Christian fiction into the hands of those who might be apt to pick up a story that will lead them to the true story of Christ. In fact, because it was simply placed in my hands as a gift, I would to pass this along. If you are interested, let me know and I will be more than willing to hook you up. Next up is a book titled, The Shape of Mercy, by Susan Meissner. Review to come and anther to give away!

Lastly, I just wanted to mention another "all things new" before closing. This Sunday, Aaron and I will rise early and hit the street, Riverside Drive that is, for another half-marathon race together. The amazing newness of this one is that we will be surrounded my friends as well. Our neighbor Tom, our friend and long-time runner, Gordon, Aaron's college buddy Jeff, and yet another long-time runner and friend, Matt will be amongst the thousands pursuing their journey with Jesus for a brief two hours of an achy-leg battle. I covet your prayers for strength and endurance as the Lord allows this amazing opportunity in our lives. Oh, and by the way, Aaron will be wearing a Fearless T-shirt, as he's been sending tweets back and forth with the Lucado crew! Have a fabulous weekend!

P.S. Brynn's funny statement of the day: "Mom, when you brush my hair, can you give me a brain?" (Still workin on the word braiD).

1 comments:

amykat said...

I'll be praying for your run this weekend! Hope you enjoy it!
I LOVE everything that comes from the pen of Max Lucado...so I will definitely have to pick up that new book.
Have a super weekend!