It's the little things...

Posted by Heather Conrad at 10:53 PM

Wednesday, March 25, 2009


Life leaves me breathless sometimes. This picture above seems to capture the sweetness of this Spring Break time as a family. I've been meaning to write lately, though night after night, I've found myself in a book (or the book has found myself in it, snoring and all!) As I find myself at a loss of how to begin this entry, I am simply overwhelmed with all the little things that have come to my attention throughout the past 2 weeks...

1. The delightful chitter-chatter of two darling little girlfriends, age 3 1/2. They carried on a conversation for the entire 20 minute car ride to the zoo with topics of conversation that ranged from what caught their attention outside the van windows to the intimate inquiries of the favorite activities of each of their siblings (both girls the youngest of 3... going on 13). I also must add that they sat side-by-side, still as can be for the same 20 minute time segment - marveling at the entertainment of monkeys and gorillas. Many important questions were asked such as, "Why is that one picking at his boo-boo?", "Which one is the Mommy and the Daddy?" and the ever popular observation of all bodily functions :) Most of all, each girl displayed such tremendous kindness, patience, and sharing that Mom didn't even realize that 4 hours had flown by, what a joy. Though at the roar of the great lion, it was our cue to leave.

Genesis 1:31
God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.



2. The gifts of our Father - as the birth of our niece was approaching, my Mother and Father made the trek from Cleveland to celebrate this much anticipated event. While staying to visit and lend a hand whenever and wherever needed, my Father requested a visited to Austin's classroom. As a retired teacher of 30 years, I found myself hearing somewhat of a childlike giddiness in his voice upon the request. After the warm response of Ms. Hobson, he prepared, dressed in a shirt and tie, and even stopped by the local Sports Clips for a trim. As I sat near the back of the class, and watched my father come alive, I listened as he welcomed, invited, and imparted knowledge to his captive audience on the history of inventors. He spoke about giftedness, the very thing I saw and remembered again in my Father himself - his gift for teaching. As I glanced at our son, who had a look of pride beaming on his face, I too was reminded of the pride I have for my earthly father. For now I see, he has given me the greatest gift of all - a true picture of all the gifts my Heavenly Father has bestowed to me - love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness. I love you Daddy.

Galatians 4:6
Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."

3. Amazing encounters - The Lord has provided several opportunities to walk alongside a fellow sister as well. The situations looked a bit different - lunch at a local restaurant, dinner over cheeseburger wraps, a Natalie Grant concert (AWESOME!), conversations over an ice cream shake - yet they all shared some common threads: listening to a thought, following through with the details to meet, investing in relationships, being blessed beyond measure. I cherish you sweet sisters. I am amazed at your strength, your beauty, and for your tenacity in your pursuit of Him. If you have a moment, click on my friend Mardee's link, you will be blessed. You are my hero sweet sister.

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times


4. Simple pleasures - This week has brought some very fond memories - Emma's persistence in learning to ride her bike, Austin pushing his sister on a park swing (the same one I pushed him on as a baby), the laughter of my three children enjoying an inside joke, a picnic complete with leftover breadcumbs for the ducks, humbly allowing my son to beat me at HORSE at the ripe old age of 8 (though I did make a come-back at theater-ball), playing for an hour in the sandbox, and making pancakes AND eggs for the third morning in a row. All these seemingly little things... together make one BIG picture that all fits into one big story - HIStory. I pray that I may learn to open my eyes and cherish these that I have been entrusted with. Lord, in looking for the BIG, may I not miss the small.

As Beth Moore wrapped up her Esther study with me a few moments ago, may these verses bless you today as it did me.

Psalm 18:20 (The Message)
God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him. When I got my act together, he gave me a fresh start. Now I'm alert to God's ways; I don't take God for granted. Every day I review the ways he works; I try not to miss a trick. I feel put back together, and I'm watching my step. God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes.

2 comments:

Liza on Maui said...

Inspiring ... enouraging .. thank you.

Kim3278 said...

What a beautiful message. I have seriously been meaning to call you but life kinda did a flip-flop here this week. I haven't been able to run once this week. I have been regretful. I hope that by tomorrow I will be able to get moving again! I still would love to talk to you though. Don't forget me! LOL