Lessons from the treadmill

Posted by Heather Conrad at 6:27 AM

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Woke up this morning. Staggered to the bathroom, somehow brushed my teeth with my eyes closed (again). Somehow got dressed. Walked downstairs. Stretched. Opened the door, and lo and behold, something wet was falling from the sky. What is this strange occurrence? All teasing aside, this has not happened to me since maybe March - rain in the wee hours of the morning. So what is a girl to do? Trudge downstairs to the treadmill, climb back into a warm bed, hmmmmm....

As much as the bed was calling out to me, I somehow found myself pressing that elusive button before the voice called out any louder. Now, for those of you who think I'm nuts (myself included most early mornings), let me share a few differences about running outside verses running on a treadmill. Outside - new scenery, nice breeze, a friend to chat with, fun. Inside - a blank wall, dripping sweat, no friend, boring. Don't get me wrong, as my lights flickered, I do realize I at least have an option TO run (as long as the electricity isn't cut), very thankful I do have this option (especially in the winter), but the hardest part of this transfer is I get caught watching the timer.

Now, we all know that time is one constant in our life. It stays the same. But I'm telling you, when you start running, and you would bet $100 you must have run 15 minutes and you see the number 2, you about want to heave this contraption out the window! HOW can it have only been 2 minutes!!! Again, same time, same activity, different circumstance.

Isn't that just life. How impatient are we? Why do want time to hurry up and get "done" in unpleasant circumstances, when in other situations, we want time to simply stand still (i.e. vacation!). So what does the Lord say about patience:

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind.
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
1 Thessalonians 5:14
And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
Hebrews 6:15
And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.
James 5:7
[ Patience in Suffering ] Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
James 5:8
You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.

Lord thank you for being patient with me. I am so thankful for this time with you this morning. Yet again, you draw me near and talk to me so personally. Thank you for the rain, and for this opportunity to allow me the chance to reflect over these past few months with you in how I can share Your story in my life with others. Lord, if I would have quit early, I would have missed out on the sweetest last 15 minutes with you (minutes that actually flew by the fastest). I want to walk with you today Lord throughout all the details of my day, may I be attune with your agenda and not mine. I love you.

3 comments:

kat said...

thank you so much for such a beautiful entry. we all need to be reminded of the blessing that only patience can give.

Unknown said...

Heather Awesome perspective! I really appreciate it. Would love to get together for lunch. What day is good for you? Thank you for the other night as well. Micah had a blast!

Luanne said...

I came across your blog via Lysa's link list. I too have struggle through the dreaded tread mill--I have tried to cover up the readings so I don't look at them constantly and see how it is taking. Thanks for your scripture verses and encouragement. God Bless.