This is how God rolls...

Posted by Heather Conrad at 10:31 PM

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So.... I hurt my foot. Can't tell you how, but I can tell you it hurts. Last Friday, had a chance to go for a jog, feeling great (which is always a blessing), enjoying the weather, great tunes... and somewhere between mile 5 and 6, the throbbing began - left foot, right between my three middle toes. So what did I do? Tried to ignore it, perhaps it's a cramp, perhaps I tied my shoes too tight, oh well, I'm enjoying my mood. By the time I stopped, I a had to limp inside the house. The slightest bit of pressure and I was wincing in pain... strange.

Needless to say, I'm one who doesn't have time for pain. Who does, you say? No one, but the way this came about - no falling, tripping, or wrenching, my heart just knew that it came from God. Not as a punishment, yet there was something He needed to show me, and this was how He would draw my attention to it. As in life, it's one thing when your head knows, it's another thing to tell that to your heart and your feelings. I was bummed, a bit perplexed, and honestly just miffed. This type of injury meant one thing. Ice, ice, and more ice. Swelling was my indicator. And, the only way to ice, is to actually SIT to be able to put ice ON it.

Well okay, so be it. Kids and I enjoyed some cuddle time. Went to bed. Me and my thoughts. Would this injury take me "out of the game" for awhile, and how long is awhile? How long before I'm out of shape with my training? Will I be able to participate in the upcoming runs I have scheduled? What does this mean for my regular day, as in walking from one place to another around the house? Wow... some people have to deal with this daily. And come to think of it, some people may never have the ability to walk ever again this side of heaven. Perspective is always good to have.

Well, I awoke the next morning, hobbled to the sink, brushed my teeth, hobbled to the kids room, and realized that this sunny Saturday would not include my "normal" morning run. Something that been in my routine, every Saturday for the past 4 years. How do you react when something you've been doing for 4 years suddenly changes? It's a bit weird. Perhaps you find yourself asking, "What do I do now?" My answer - you simply do the next thing. The moment to moment. And then you take the next moment. And before I realized it, a beautiful day with my family transpired. This was God's plan for today, and it was perfect. Perfectly different, yet perfect.

Sunday, still hobbling. Monday, little less pain, a little more flexibility. Tuesday, Lord gave me the idea to go for a swim instead - perfect. Haven't done that in awhile, great exercise, less weight resistance on the foot. Wednesday, we got some more action once we got moving, I enjoyed a great walk with a friend. Before walking, I had a few moments before she arrived, decided to flip to Proverbs. I'm reading in Chapter 3, and my eyes fall upon this:

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD and shun evil.

8 This will bring health to your body
and nourishment to your bones.


Of all the verses to read, and I just happen upon these :)


This is how God rolls. This is how the Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus Christ in moving your obedient, searching heart to a place where He brings understanding. This is how we know that we are loved with a never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love (from my favorite Children's Bible - The Jesus Storybook). He loves me so much that he wanted me to see just where my focus lies in this area of my life. What would happen if this was removed from my life, even for a short while? What will my children see? My husband? My friends? Dear ones, this same Lord has just as much love for you, today and forever. Is there something you are holding onto? Would it be okay to let it go? He has a promise to show you, a love to give you, a blessing to bestow. He knows.


My testimony is this - it's worth it. Everytime. Enjoy the weather!

0 comments: