Got plans today?

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:21 PM

Monday, January 11, 2010


I just love this question. If you've ever been the recipient of this question, you know the drill. What is the usual response? For me.... pause. I ponder, what will follow my response? Is it a request for me to "do a favor" if I happen to have an open slot, is it an invitation to join a fun activity, or is it perhaps a "feeler" for a long sit-down listening session? Either way, our minds tend to prepare for a win-win situation. This opens up a chance for us to suggest that indeed we are busy, but perhaps could be flexible enough to change if the outcome is more appealing. It's where the honesty-rubber meets the road.

So what "plans" can we count on everyday? What comes to mind when you first wake up in the morning? Besides, uggggg, it's morning, do you think about what day it is, what's on the agenda, what needs to be accomplished, what can be put off till tomorrow? Do we wake up to another day of the rat race, or do we perhaps anticipate the possibilities of the unknown? If you had asked me this question just a few short years ago, the rat race was my life, all I knew. It was a lifestyle that I utterly grew dependent on, one that drained me of energy, passion, and meaning. Oh there were days where everything seemed to fall in place, everything felt right, felt good. And then the next day would arrive, and something I hadn't planned for would throw me off, even threaten my demise. It was all I knew... until Christ.

Most morning now don't bring the familiar dread, most mornings I find myself greeting the Lord, preparing my heart to fall in step with my best friend. Most days bring surprises, and instead of it threatening my sanity, it brings me surprising joy. A call, a visit, an email, a lunch, a just-enough-time-slot to complete a task I thought wouldn't be completed. And not only a daily plan, but a life purpose.

The Great Commission
16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them ina]">[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Not sure about you, but I can relate to the "some doubted" part. Though I must admit that I can handle a list of 2. Jesus commands that I go. Not expect people to come, but in fact, to go. Secondly, that I teach "them" to obey everything. Thanks to Pastor Denny for a passionate message given on Sunday, the Lord provided a huge confirmation for me. You see, just Saturday night, before falling asleep, I felt I needed to get a few things straight with my Jesus. I felt an urgency to recommit my all to Him. To commit my time, my energy, and my plans to Him, whatever that looks like. If my sole purpose for existing in this time of my life to "train up my children in the way they should go," then I want to give it my all. It is enough, it is important. We are to "go" and we are to teach to obey, it is a mighty purpose. The next time Satan, or any other worldly message wants to tell me any different, I come prepared for battle, armed with the truth.

Let me tell you these words are being written by a simple girl who was once career-driven, success-driven, program-driven, do-it-all, be-it-all, have-it-all, and look-good through it all. And then Christ... The apostle Paul said it best,

Philippians 3:7-9

7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Got any plans for today?

0 comments: