I have no greater joy!

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:57 AM

Friday, February 27, 2009

3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

My joy cannot be fully expressed in words. One cannot fully prepare your heart to contain itself at the words... "Mommy, I asked Jesus to come into my heart. And He did." If there was ever a moment for "journaling", here it is. A day to remember, a day to celebrate, a day to "detail", and one to share time and time again.

Just 2 weeks ago, my friend Jen called and left me a message about some "good news". Well, inquiring minds wanted to know, and as the list of possibilities floated through my head, I must admit I was surprised as to said news. Her daughter Amalie, close buddy of Brynn's, had prayed the salvation prayer over some hot chocolate with her 5 year old brother Andrew - precious! As good news travels fast, the kids and I talked about it over breakfast the next day, and on the way to school we began to share each of our salvation stories. It's always fun to keep "adding" to the story as each of us remembers a different detail. We've prayed for Brynn's salvation at different times during our prayers, but always in knowing the God has ordained the most perfect date and time for this occasion.

On Monday morning, the kids and I were reading in Romans 6, and in discussing dying to self and new life, we again talked about what happens at the moment of salvation. As Brynn colored in her Cubbie book during our discussion, I heard, "I already did that Mommy." "Did what honey?" "Prayed to Jesus." "When did you pray?" "Last night in my bed." "What did you pray about?" "I asked Jesus to come into my heart, and he did." Uhhhhhh, wow. The specialness of the moment hung like fog in the air. Could it be? Is our third child now a new creature in Christ, with the promise of eternity forever together with Him? YESSSS! But wait....doubt. Is this possible? Is she too young to understand? After a few more questions, all wonderings were cast aside. As she moved onto discussions of ponies, I was left to bask in the joy of knowing that my child, all my children for that fact, are living, breathing, temples of Christ Jesus. That'll take up some brain cells with thought! To see the excitement in the faces of Austin and Emma over their sister will stay with me forever!

We began a tradition of sorts in marking the day that Emma asked Jesus into her heart by none other than...a cake. And so, in carrying on said tradition, Mom was thrilled to just so-happen-to- have a cake mix on hand for such an occasion. In testing our heart shaped pan for Valentines Day, we learned that 1 cake mix box is a little too much batter (spillage over the sides gave us a clue), so, we decided to add a few cupcakes as well, one for each of us. As she sang Jesus Loves Me and we enjoyed a few moist morsels, I couldn't be more proud of how the Lord is working through the lives of my children - I have no greater joy!

Dear Lord, I thank you today for the "new birth" of our daughter, Brynn. Lord, you know how discouraged and lax I've been lately in leading my children into a time with you each morning. I thank you that your mercies are new each day, and I thank you for allowing the "extra" time that happened on Monday, knowing what was to transpire. Lord, I fail, every day. But in you, I'm learning to simply get up, and move again, for today is the day that you've given me. I thank you for delighting in sharing your story time and time again. Please watch over the ladies that will be attending the retreat tonight and tomorrow. Meet them right where they are, in such a real way. I love you.

2 comments:

mardeed said...

(tears) (sniff, sniff)
I am so excited for Bynn and the entire family. What a wonderful, uplifting testimony to the faithfulness of God meeting us where we are - in a child's bed as she gets ready to fall asleep. So precious and fitting of our heavenly Father. Heather, thank you so much for sharing this "birthday" story with us!!!!

TreasureHunter said...

Oh my goodneeeeeeesssss! That is so awesome. I am so excited for Brynn and for your family time together. What a blessing.