The Living Water

Posted by Heather Conrad at 2:35 PM

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I have to beg your pardon for just a moment, while I brag on my husband (just because I can :) The man has patiently, quietly, and dutifully supported me as this running journey in my life has unfolded, all the while teasing that the only real reason to run is if someone is chasing you. Well, about 6 weeks ago, he simply wanted to get some exercise back in his life, and with options being slim to none, he hopped up on the treadmill and pressed start.

Here we are, 6 weeks later, and the man is running his first race (with me!) 2 days from now, Thanksgiving morning! I am so excited, and so proud of him for persisting in wanting to pursue a healthy lifestyle (because it's not easy!) As I was just running a few moments ago, I was chattin with the Lord, thinking how I haven't posted in awhile, just expressing my desire to post again, but when his timing was right. I'm not kidding, just about 2 minutes later, I glanced down and noticed the empty water bottle slot, and it triggered a memory.

Just last week, Aaron was running downstairs, I happened to open the refrigerator for something, and noticed his water bottle on the top shelf. It was nothing more simple than having a thought of... he might need this... walking downstairs and reaching over to place it in the holder, when out of the corner of my eye, I see this hand thrust forward and snatch it out of my grip! I laughed out loud actually. Well, as I was recalling this story, I got to thinking about this concept in a different way. I simply had a thought, saw an opportunity, and followed through. It probably took all of 2 minutes for this transaction to transpire.

In much the same way, how many opportunities are we given each day to hold out, maybe not necessarily a bottle of water, but perhaps something else that quenches, not just for a moment, but for a lifetime? Not just physically water that quenches physical thirst, but the living water that quenches the insatiable thirst in our soul for something that lasts, somethings that's always dependable, something that is constant - our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Maybe the Lord has something just like this for you today. Maybe he will present an opportunity for you to simply obey, and by doing so, someone may just reach out and grab hold of the very lifeline they need today. Will you be his vessel today? I can tell you this, it not only will bless the other person, but you will receive blessings tenfold in return. Have a wonderful day in gratitude for all you have received and all you have been given.

1 Chronicles 16:34
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.

John 7:38
Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

2 comments:

rk said...

Great idea! Have fun!

Erin McGraw said...

Have a great run tommorrow with your hubby, definitely some good bonding time. Thanks for your post, love that you always take the time to provide some great and timely scripture references. Erin