The narrow path

Posted by Heather Conrad at 2:42 PM

Friday, October 3, 2008

Ever had one of those moments when you're reading, and suddenly you pause... whoa. Your eyes want to keep reading but something hits you and you immediately have to stop and process - images are running through your mind like a movie in fast forward. Well, maybe I'm a bit odd in this way, but it happened just this morning.


I have the utmost privilege of being affording the opportunity to be a part of a bible study this fall that is concentrating on the book of Psalms. We're reading a total of 15 Psalms a week (3 a day for 5 days), for 10 weeks that will take us through the book in its entirety. I must admit that I'm not sure if I have, in fact, read each Psalms or if I have skipped around so many times that some my eyes have never fallen upon. I have thoroughly enjoyed my journey thus far (though I must admit that I don't always get my three in a day), the Lord usually gives me just enough time to concentrate on what He would have for that day.


SO, back to my "jump off the page" experience today... happened in chapter 18, verse 36. Like I said, just reading along, pausing for notes, when bam! You ready? Here we go...


You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn.


I'm guessing you're saying... okay?? Well, from a runners stand-point, I got this one quickly. I have run several paths over the course of the past two years, and along with that, I have had some doosies of a fall (very graceful of course, not!) Let me tell you, when that sidewalk jumps up, that uneven pavement catches your toe, or that twig in your way gets a hold of your big foot - you're down and you're down hard! So I stopped reading, read this again, and found myself wanting to know more about what David was writing at this point in his life.


This is what I learned, and then pictured in my mind. I imagined David making his way along a high, narrow ledge, picking his way over rocks and snags, in this case, to escape a dangerous enemy who was quickly gaining ground. He is keenly aware of how easy it would be to turn an ankle, stumble, and possible slip to his death.


I love this story as an analogy to our lives. When the terrain of life becomes rocky, steep, and narrow, the journey can be overwhelming. What did David do in this situation? He called upon the Lord with a praise-filled proclamation of God's sustaining presence as his affirmation of faith. Yes, we can trust our Savior to broaden the path in front of us and keep our feet from slipping.


Lord, thank you for the reminder of how you intimately care for every detail in my life, that you go before me, and that you broaden my path so that I may run free. I love you.

2 comments:

rk said...

You just knocked my socks off. Not just because of your post getting to my bones, but because we are studying Psalms as well. WOW! Holy Spirit at work. Amazing, He is speaking related messages nationally. My attention is peaked. Thank you for the incredible heart felt sentiments.

Jess said...

Wow. That is a great image.
I'm doing Beth Moore's "Stepping Up - the Psalms of Ascent" right now. And it's amazing all the great 'stuff' that's hidden in those emotional verses. Your study sounds amazing, too.