Sustain, withstand, endure

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:37 AM

Saturday, September 20, 2008

I am writing this morning in complete awe. As this past journey in our family's life has unfolded, the sheer fact that life is turbulent, unpredictable, and unstable, simply lay in front of me this morning. We ran past a tree this morning that had been blown over during last weeks' storm - no lie, the base and diameter of this truck and root system was taller than I am.

It got me thinkin... why is it that some trees fell while others didn't? Was it the direction of the wind, the placement of others in proximity of the tree, it's "bendability", or the possible roting damage happening on the inside? Perhaps it had to do with it's root system, it's foundation. Maybe some roots ran wide, yet shallow, while other ran deep allowing access to more stability.

Is this possibly an example of our life in Christ? Some young and little trees were flexible and "open" to allow themselves to "listen" to the wind flow, just as those young in Christ. In contrast, other large, seemly-foundationally-founded trees fell, just as anyone of us could in the midst of sin. In fact it's those of us who may "look" Christ-like on the outside, yet have a rotten core on the inside, or those of us who think we may be steering clear of this sin -thing (pridefully "good") that could get knocked down at any moment (ouch, I know). May I humbly suggest it's the trees that seek out the best way to "go deep" and root themselves in the only one who IS stable, who IS our rock and our foundation.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliver; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:2-3

I praise him today for being my rock in the storm of my life as of lately. As nothing but a pure example of him, he has allowed running in my life as the one constant through all the turbulence. Last Saturday's weather proved to be tremendously humid, hard to breathe in, sweating so profusely that my shirt could be rung out. In contrast, this morning, he allowed this human body to sustain, withstand, and endure through 31/2 hours of aerobic running, totaling 22 miles, AND I feel great. How do you explain it? Humanly, I can't, which leads me to a logical conclusion of only one possibility - HIM! My Jesus, my Lord, the ultimate sustainer. The one who provides not only breathe, but strength, beyond human comprehension. I thank him and praise him today for allowing me the chance to experience his presence in such a real way. May you receive all the glory due you today Lord, your daughter feels extremely blessed!

0 comments: