Proud parent

Posted by Heather Conrad at 11:46 AM

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Last night, my heart had a front row seat to a spectacular 8-year-old, coach-pitch league baseball tournament game! Our son, Austin, and the rest of the mighty Marlins truly pulled it all together to beat the Cubs and head off to the National League Championship game! No matter what your age, race, or walk of life, there is something in our human nature that just loves to see the "best" in those trying, be able to be displayed. Go USA OLYMPICS - 8/8/08!


So why is this post entitled "proud parent"? Well, I think I broke the no-mammas-in-the-dugout-rule when I felt compelled to congratulate my son on making 5 out of the 6 outs during the first two innings! He so graciously accepted my hug and kiss with a little smirk on his face. What was I so proud of? The catches, not really. I am so proud of the young man our son is striving to become. He began the year wanting the ball to simply fall into his glove, and ready to stop trying when it didn't happen. After a few father-son talks, and lots of playing catch in the backyard (including two missed catches to the noggin), he had some choices to make. Austin had an opportunity to learn about persistence, patience, and also human limitations. He had an opportunity to win and lose as a team, a chance to understand about an "off" day, and a chance to recognize his strengths and weaknesses. As I stood and reflected on how he began the season, my heart just burst watching my little boy desire to focus, be still, be smart, and simply just have fun!

So many life lessons yet to learn, but on that evening I stood on a truth - Austin overcame. He overcame his fears, his insecurities, and his worries. He had listened to advise, had practiced, had tried. Whether he was successful in his attempts or not, his Christ-like character is being formed. You see, Jesus overcame too, and because of that we can have peace.


I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33


2 comments:

Aaron said...

Hey...you're pretty good at this blogging thing! Check you out! What a blessing you are going to be to the net and all that read your blog. The blog world is a better place today with your insights and heart in it!

Amanda said...

You two are too cute!
Heather this was a great post. I loved hearing about lessons being taught through a fun forum!
Blessings!!! :)