Prayer Request Anyone?

Posted by Heather Conrad at 6:43 AM

Friday, July 18, 2008

Got to enjoy another fabulous morning run with a cherished friend this morning. We talk about quite a variety of things while we run (really does make the time go by fast!), and one of the topics we discussed around the last 1/2 mile was... prayer. This was our pondering point - "Why do we possess a filtering system when it comes to sharing our prayer requests? What qualifies a prayer as something "Big" enough to deem appropriate to reach out and "bother" or "burden" someone in making time to intercede with us on our journey?

I know I am a work in progress on this one. I carry a double standard. I consider it a complete honor and privilege to approach His Almighty throne of grace on the behalf of another's request and need, to walk alongside someone on their journey. But, for me, I hesitate in asking others to do the same. My first instinct is to "feel" as though I am a burden to other's, or that it comes from a selfish need to project my "issues" onto someone else. What is my source for this feeling? In light of this, am I robbing others of the same blessing and opportunity I am granted in the pursuit of prayer for others?

Well, let's go to THE source, what does God have to say about this...
1 Thessalonians 5:17 - pray continually
2 Thessalonians 1:11 - we constantly pray for you
James 5:16 - ...pray for each other...
Luke 18:1 - ...that they should always pray...
Ephesians 6:18 - And pray in the Spirit on all occasions, with all kinds of prayers and requests...always keep on praying...

There you go. No request big or small. They are all of equal importance. No discrimination here. Did you catch the "continually, constantly, and always" part? What requests do you have today?

1 comments:

Amanda said...

Great post, Heather.

I agree, sharing requests lets people share life together. It can be hard to only one way it, but sometimes necessary.

Like our missionaries from Brazil, who wanted to meet more people from our church and share in life stories, not just letters back and forth to church secretaries and pastors! I'm sure it's get a tad lonely sometimes, and meeting the people praying for you can do wonders for our patience!

I'm praying for you guys and God's continued hand on your future. I'm also praying the same for us! So, I guess that would be my prayer request!

Blessings this weekend, girl!