I'm hearing ya!

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:59 AM

Thursday, July 3, 2008

If there is one thing I love and appreciate most about my Jesus is that He is so personal. I can't seem to wrap my mind around how he is SO BIG and has created all we see, yet reaches down and speaks to me just like a friend. God in his almighty grandeur, allows me to know he is right there, as if whispering... See? How do I know it's him that speaking? It has to be, answers to my questions, thoughts, ideas, and feelings are often times things I haven't shared with one single soul. He knows my heart, even better than I do - such a loving creator.

This was a thought a had this morning... I'd like to post something else, wonder what I could say... let's check my email. The first two emails in my box are devotions that I receive daily. Keep in mind, two different sources, two different ladies, each written states away, probably a month or two prior to today, and this is what I read:

Matthew 21:21-22, I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:31 (NIV)

Notice any similarities there? None other than the age-old struggle of doubt and faith. What's the significance here? The Lord has asked me, one who functions on logic, seeks proof and understanding, along with my husband to do something that defies logic and challenges understanding. Just like the priests carrying the covenant, he's asking us to take that first step, and place our toe in the river when we cannot see how or what the path looks like (Joshua 3:15-17). Mary Southerland, from Girlfriends in God, writes this:

Notice that God did nothing until those toes touched the water! That first step was all God needed to see! Many times, we won't take the first step because we're afraid we won't be able to make the whole journey.

Don't wait until you believe it all!
Don't wait until you can see it all!
Don't wait until you understand it all!

Just step out in childlike faith, knowing that every step deposits faith into your spiritual account and strengthens your trust in God. Got doubts? Don't we all? One way to weaken your doubts is by strengthening your faith in God.

Yes God, I hear you. Lord, why is it that I can put my immediate faith in my pharmacist, whom I only exchange pleasantries with, more than in you? Lord, thank you for teaching me, thank you for showing me, help me weaken my doubt by strengthening my faith. Lord, I believe, help me in my unbelief. I love you.


0 comments: