Do you need a trim?

Posted by Heather Conrad at 6:19 AM

Wednesday, July 30, 2008


Got to waterin the plants and shrubs yesterday, and I had a thought - WOW, that shrub looks great, better than it has ever! Strange thought I know, but it got me thinkin some more. You see, my husband and I have different points of view when it comes to landscaping. I tend to like the fuller, more mature, well...more is better type of look. He likes the... less-is-more type, or the let's-just-rip-it-all-out type of look! There's a story about an apple tree in our backyard, but that's anther story for another day (stop smiling Mark!)

About 2 or maybe 3 years ago, Aaron was kind enough to "trim up" some bushes on the side of our house. Now keep in mind, his type of trimming and mine are somewhat different. Again, the less-is-more concept left me with a bit of shock-in-awe, but I have to admit that this was the best thing for these little bushes. After some time, care, water, and sun, turns out this hair cut was the best thing for them! They are full, lush and quite mature looking! Dare I venture even better looking that my first assessment three years ago! Aaron...you were right my dear!

This one little observation got me thinking some more. What do I have that needs some trimmin in my life? Am I so resistant to change, that I hold on to some branches a lot longer than I need to? To I have some dead spots that are simply there because "they've always been there"? Do I need to prune them, or perhaps even cut them off? It might be hard, but didn't it actually make this shrub a much more healthier, full, and vibrant one? It took time, but in the long run, with a little trust, and a little patience, it actually grew more and more brilliant. Maybe there is something to the less-is-more concept, contrary to popular belief.

I hear you Lord, I hear ya.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful... No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers, such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." John 15: 1-4, 6

2 comments:

Erin McGraw said...

Hi Heather,
Just wanted you to know that reading this blog post prompted me to do my bible study that I was behind on. I did it the same day you posted it and wouldn't you know my study included John 15:4. Isn't that cool. So glad God prompted you so that I could enjoy some time with him too. Keep up the good work.

Heather Conrad said...

Hi Erin!
That's awesome! I love when God gives you those moments where the only plausible explanation for a connection is HIM. Wonderful that you ran to his word that day, casting off those doubts that tell us we're so far behind why even bother. What a blessing! I appreciate your encouragement so much. This is a crazy new "world" for me, but every time I get discouraged, God sends a wonderful messengert. Have a great weekend!