Armor of God - Part 3

Posted by Heather Conrad at 3:09 PM

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

So... let's continue with our look at the armor of God found in Ephesians 6. To review, we've been given the belt of truth and the breastplate of righteousness. Today let's look at verse 15:

and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

How do we fit our feet? We have different shoes for different occasions. Sandals for those warm summer days, boots for those cold winter days, shoes we wear for formal occasions, and good ol' tennies for footsie support during exercise activities. Here, the message of the gospel is picturesquely connected with the protective and supportive footgear of the Roman soldier.

I love the part about the gospel of peace. To walk with peace, to walk in peace, and to walk for peace is such an amazing concept. Peace can be so hard to come by at times. We desperately search for it, we strive to attain it, and we muster up our own strength willing to have it. But as I'm beginning to learn, peace is something that is given. Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27) Funny how I find myself so troubled at times. Is it those times that I've taken my focus off of Him and placed it on me - my circumstances, my feelings, my issues? I also find it interesting that we are armed for battle with what? Peace. As if peace is the first "step" we take with our feet, our main goal, our main intent, the heart of the matter in battle - peace.

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10

In light of "feet" and all, my mind can't help but run to running. I do find myself at peace when I run. What is something the Lord has given you a "love" of that brings you peace? For me, my body may be screaming at me, but my heart is in complete peace because when I run, I'm very aware of his presence. I do want to give a quick shout out to my Jesus, who last Monday, helped me celebrate two years of running with Him. Lord willing, I'd love to continue this journey for as long as He deems perfect. Though lately, my feet are dragging behind me, my heart is willing to continue and endure (craziness!) Lord help me when I just want to quit.

Well, that's all for tonight. The kids and I hit some rides at the zoo tonight, one two many spins on the tea cups for me! All worth it just to see those smiling faces. Tune in later for the next look at our armor - the shield of faith! Until then, enjoy this last day of July! Nothing like today to make some family memories!

0 comments: