God is Real

Posted by Heather Conrad at 2:45 PM

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ever ask yourself that question - Is God real? Does He truly exist? Do people concoct something that they wish to be true? Because I can't "see" him, how do I know I'm not just talking into the air?

All fair questions. If you were to ask Christians who've been walking this earth for many years, and they would be able to profess their true thoughts, I bet you they have asked, perhaps at times still do, throw out the wondering question. TO question, I believe is not wrong. It's WHAT we do, think, and chose in response to these questions that show us where our hearts lie, and as a result, demonstrate our level of independence or dependence.

In opening my heart to my Father this morning, I searched and listened, to respond in obedience as to if there was something He wanted me to work through today, in this case, work out by writing it down. Three words came to mind - God is real.

In reflecting further, these words were so poignant for me as to my "ponderings" on life and relationships recently. As I spent time with Him through reading, I came across 1 John 2: 16-17:

16For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

You see, "things" in my relationships with friends, even my husband, haven't quite gone my way lately. The way I see things, I have deserved a whole lot more than I've received lately. I found myself asking, "When will it be my turn?" "Do they not see my needs right now?" "Do they really care?" If they did, they would....

"the cravings of a sinful man... boasting of what he has and does... comes NOT from the Father but from the world..."

The world? This was a question posed to me in my bible study. What is meant by the "world"? I believe numerous answers could be given. The one that hit me today - the who? The prince of this world. Satan himself (John 12:31).

Back to my previous thoughts and questions (cravings and boasting) - did they come from my Father or from the "world"? My logic, and my Truth, tells me they were NOT from my Father. So? I decided to bound up these thoughts, and cast them aside. Basically I said, "Stop it."

2 Corinthians 10:5
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Instead I asked, "Lord, help me."

Are you wondering what happened? I was curious too. As I "watched" my thoughts,, my feelings, my countenance, it began to change. I CAN'T DO THAT. I've tried. HE replaced my frustration with peace, he replaced my anger with joy, he replaced my bitterness with love. He allowed me to move on. To wait, perhaps a conversation for another time. I didn't "fester" anymore, the run-away-bitter-train has gone. I can't explain it any other way, I'm limited, I'm a dumb sheep. I could not have mustered, strengthened, pulled-myself-up-from-my-bootstraps, as my Kentucky friend would tell me, all on my own. Tried that for years. Failed miserably. So, my answer today? Yes. He's more than real, He's more than ever-present, He's more than loving, He's more than sacrificing, He's more than my solid rock and foundation, He's more than my friend - He has the power to change my heart, affecting the lives around me, thus bringing me to a place I truly want to be - all because I asked. I admitted I had no idea what to do, what to say, how to handle my "uglies", and I wanted to seek His face. I'm not smart, just dependent. It still don't fully "get it", but I believe. You have the same choice.

Do you believe God is real? Are you willing to risk? It might just change your life today. It might bring you that ever-elucive peace? It did mine. And tomorrow, I'll have even more questions... and He'll be there.

0 comments: