Get out of my way!

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:45 AM

Friday, November 20, 2009

Ever have one of those days... you find yourself behind schedule (for any number of reasons from a very lengthy list), you talk yourself into everything being "fine" by focusing on simply getting to your next destination, you've taken a breath, attempted to act like a mature adult, and then... you get stuck behind that large white van whose driver seems to be completely oblivious of your said plans and has NO INTENTION OF USING THE CLEARLY DELINEATED PETAL ON THE RIGHT! AND, why is it that this said driver seems to instinctively know exactly where you are heading because you continue to follow them around EVERY TURN THE WHOLE ENTIRE DISTANCE TO YOUR DESTINATION!!!


Not that I can speak from personal experience on this issue or anything, but if one found themselves in this place, I would assume that this lack of control could do one of two things:

1. Create a sense of greater and greater tension... or perhaps

2. Create an opportunity for said person to pause , contemplate, and look for a perspective, perhaps an angle that might even see this obstacle as a blessing, of sorts, in their life.

So what did I do? Well... both. First, I reacted, not so maturely may I add. But, when I chose to pause, wanted to see something other than my anger, some new thoughts came to mind (can't take credit for them, remember I was just mad!) In now looking at this white van, this source of my tardiness (which wasn't actually the real source of my tardiness), I now saw it as an angel in white. I know, perhaps a bit of a stretch, but I viewed this van as a rescuer of sorts. I had grown so accustomed to breaking the law, that in the name of all things justified and comfortable, in traveling this same route day after day, my flesh arrived at the conclusion that it is my right and within my control to go as fast as I want - all in the name of being punctual! This very rule, set for my protection, became the reason to bust out of my "fence" and TO CONTINUE TO CLAIM IT AS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

I needed this reminder to slow down. I needed to look at the anger that so easily arose in the face of this obstacle in my life. I needed to re-prioritize the consequences of being a few minutes last, over the the safety of myself and my family. I needed to take a breath. I needed to think of someone other than myself, perhaps even the object of my anger - the driver in the white van. His shepherd loves him too.

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

0 comments: