Kids Say the Craziest Things

Posted by Heather Conrad at 11:00 PM

Tuesday, October 13, 2009


Always fun, and always fresh material when it comes to living with little people. Here are some of the newest sayings flying around our house:

1. Daughter - "Mommy, when you brush my hair, can you give me a brain?"

2. An early morning dentist appointment, "Mommy, those cars have flashlights!"

3. Famous driving comment, "Mommy, how many more years till we get there?"

4. Washing hands with our African American friend, she noticed his palms, "Mommy, his brown paint is washing off!"

5. "Mommy, why are crying? Where is your boo-boo? I'll kiss is for you. It's a boo-boo in your heart? I can't reach that one. Jesus will have to fix it for you."

Children are completely precious. Though at times I find the need to remind myself of this fact, the overwhelming amount of blessings bestowed through these priceless gifts leave me breathless. Their hearts so easily forgive this imperfect Momma who does not always practice what she preaches. I have learned to model apologies, forgiveness, and restoration in a way that reaches them, a tangible way. I am still learning to appreciate the moments, and to possess a sense of contentment in all circumstances. This once career-driven lady, now finds that watching Nemo with my daughter was one of the most important things I did yesterday. It spoke the language of time and touch to our youngest gift, and went straight to my heart. For this is how God loves us, personally, tenderly, unconditionally. Jesus, thank you for being my perfect example.

I'd like to leave you with one last list. These are the words God has spoken to me by listening to the words that have come forth from my own mouth. By hearing them, I can just picture God smiling and nodding... hmmmmm.

1. Kids, Mommy only needs to say something one time.
2. When I tell you to do something, it means right now.
3. Mommy loves you, that's why there is a consequence.
4. Be kind to one another, encouraging with your words.
5. What's more important, this object or your sibling?
6. We don't always get what we want, for a good reason.
7. Mommy expects you to obey the first time.
8. Complaining shows me an ungrateful heart.
9. Are you giving me excuses?
10. What is the wise thing to do?

Challenging isn't it? Praise the Lord in that His mercies are new every day. He is so patient with me when I grumble, argue, or simply sit by passively. Lord, I desire to seek you and to know you. Help me to forgive myself so that I may come to you, my Heavenly Father, in studying the example set by your Son, my Savior Jesus Christ. Have a wonderfully crazy day in Him!

Click here to link back to an amazing list of bloggers who are writing about this same "crazy" subject today. You will be blessed!

8 comments:

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Love all your thoughts and I think I have even asked my husband how many years until we get there!! :)

Melanie said...

Loved those priceless kid comments and loved even more the way you LISTEN to God.

Antique Mommy said...

Love it. Kids do indeed say the funniest things.

Rachel Wojnarowski said...

Love your words. and the kids'. ;)

Mimi said...

"How many more years till we get there"?! haha, Heather, me and you can have a turtle race! I've prayed over my right foot to be sanctified after my daughters would comment on my driving. HA- here's a funny story: WHen my daughter Asia was in 1st grade, the teacher asked the class, "Does anyone know what a Heffer is?" and Asia raised her hand and shared, "It's someone who drives really slow!" hahahahaha..I think the next round robin we do should be "Kids Say the Craziest Things"!!

Tami VanHoy said...

When I was a younger mother of younger kids I had a friend that wanted to write a book called "get a pencil" where she would write down all the funny things the kids say and publish them. I never did get that pencil and now I struggle to remember those great conversations. Maybe if blogging had been around I'd have my list of crazy things said to share! For now, I'll relive memories reading all these young mom stories...and then when I get grand kids, I'm getting that pencil!!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

UGH. The parallels - and lessons! - between parenting and God's love are endless. And I'm just getting started! :)

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

Kitty at Four Little Toms and a Mom says... So glad you're blogging so that you can capture the funny things they say before mommyhood whips you on to something else and you forget these funny moments!