What is your talent?

Posted by Heather Conrad at 9:40 AM

Friday, January 16, 2009

Well, with the confirmation of today's official snow day, the girls and I curled up in the big chair for a movie last evening as the boys were at practice. There's something about cuddling up with the kids at the end of the day that has me looking forward to our Friday movie nights even at the beginning of each week. What was our movie of choice last night? Tinkerbell. Clever, and at the same time, very thought provoking....

The movie begins with the introduction of this curious, tiny fairy, wide-eyed at an opening ceremony of sorts. Surrounding her in a circular pattern are several different floating items, and she is instructed by the "queen" to choose one. Bell asks, "But how will I know which one?" "You'll know," responds the queen. As the other fairies watch in anticipation, she touches each item and one by one they fade away, she passes by another, until it starts glowing, and as she reaches out to grab it, a bright blinding light captures your attention across your entire TV screen. She now recognizes the talent chosen for her, she is a "tinker", a builder fairy of sorts, and she is introduced to the life of her fellow tinkers.

Well, here comes the plot... without revealing the rest of the movie, let's just say she's not too keen about welcoming the talent that's been chosen for her. In her eyes, it doesn't have the glitz, the glamor, the magic of the talents seen in her other fairy friends. She coaxes them to share and teach her their talent, those of the water fairies, the light fairies, the color fairies, and the animal fairies, and they are happy to oblige. As we can all guess, Tinker fails at her attempts, making a debacle out of each situation, leaving her frustrated, disappointed, and even dejected in the talent chosen for her. Her goal is to travel to the "mainland"and all the wonder and beauty she anticiaptes finding there. One problem - tinker fairies' place is simply to stay in Neverland, preparing all the items needed for the other fairies to carry out their talents.

Are you following with me? Do you see yourself fit into this story at all? Have you experienced those moments/times where you could recognize the amazing gifts and "talents" of all those around you, to the detriment of seeing your own given talent as anything of importance what-so-ever? Have you longed for the talent you have seen in others? Have you seen others talents as more beautiful, desirable, perhaps more magical than your own? In you wondering and wanderings, how did these thoughts leave you feeling?

I can tell you, in all honesty, I spent lots of my time wide-eyed at the wonders of the talents of all those around me. I've marveled at their beautiful singing voices, their soft-spoken, patience with children, their administrative, detailed-mindsets in accomplishing a multi-level task, their ways of communicating to an audience words from their hearts, and their inspirational way of spurring on others to greater things. Each one of these gifts are special. Each one of these talents help to create a beautiful scene of color, harmony, and good-will for man. Have you ever asked yourself, "But where do I fit into the picture?"

Maybe you already know. Maybe someone has spoken to this talent in your life. Maybe you already know your draws, your passions, your tendencies. Maybe you've taken a survey (or 10) and know the results. Maybe the Lord has already confirmed this in you heart. Maybe you've watched others lament and woe about their talent and passionately spoke into their lives of what you see as the amazing talent given to them. Maybe, just as Tinkerbell, you just need to stop. Maybe the same words uttered to others are the same words your very own heart needs to pay attention to. You are special. You have been given a talent. You are loved.

Romans 12:

4Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his[b]faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

Perhaps we need to stop listening to the lies today, and to start listening to the truth of our Maker. Perhaps a perspective change is just what we need. Perhaps we can have and hold the freedom that comes in simply "being" who we are. Perhaps we will receive the tremendous reward that come in the privilege of visiting the "mainland". A reward that comes simply by receiving. When Tinkerbell started out, she tried to manipulate to receive, after exhaustion and revelation, she realized how content she was not to receive it. At that time, she was then able to receive it as the gift it was intended to be. Her heart had changed. Any questions?

Lord, will you forgive me for all those times I've gazed at others with amazement, excitement, and even envy. Lord my focus and amazement needs to be shifted to you. Will you help me recognize this and gently guide me back to you. Will you help me recognize, accept, and even thank you for the perfect way in which you designed, crafted and molded me for you tell me "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139). Will you help me to recognize both your confirmation and affirmation of how I can bless you with the talents you've bestowed to me. I want to serve you by simply honoring and bringing you glory through the talents you've simple chosen to blessed me with. I don't deserve them, but you've chosen to give out of love. May we love you with them, and in turn, have the privilege of loving others through them as well. Thank you for the snow day. I love you.

6 comments:

rk said...

Great post: you have a talent!

xoxox,
R

Jen said...

Hi Heather,

You might remember me from Tuesday morning Bible study last year. I found you somehow through Stef's blog. I enjoyed your post and have something to add: I often get frustrated because I know I have a talent that isn't getting used or developed because of other life issues. So I need to be patient that it will be used in God's time, not on my timeline. Women's ministries has been a passion of mine for years, but I haven't been used in that area. Just recently, I was called to start a women's Bible study after some shakeups at our church. Yes, God's time, not mine.

Jenn Voight

Unknown said...

we were just discussing this (our talents) over playdoh today :) it was so neat to open your blog to see the same! i love to read your words. so calming and true.

Heather Conrad said...

Thanks girls for your comments!

Roxanne - ditto for you girl!

Jenn - what a wonderful journey you seem to be embarking on... excellent point. I too have been wandering in a wilderness of sorts and am learning so much in the process. God's timing and learning to trust in the "between" times is just so essential. Have you had time to write?

Jen - how fun to talk while play-doughing! Love it! As our baby is growing so fast, I'm learning to stop and enjoy those times of "playing" with a new perspective. Have a great weekend!

Erin McGraw said...

Great Post Heather. I know God has a special task for my talents but I am in a holding pattern right now. It is hard to wait on God when you feel ready to serve but are not sure yet in what capacity. Thanks for the reminder to wait on him, I know I will be glad I did. Enjoy the long weekend with the family.

Jen said...

Heather,

I still write, but not as much as I would like. Another timing issue I suppose. I am homeschooling the kids this year because of the school district we moved to, so that eats a lot of time.

Jenn